[WikiEN-l] Recent thumbnail problems and problem reporting.

Timwi timwi at gmx.net
Mon Sep 17 13:30:34 UTC 2007

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> Rather than successfully flagging the tech team's attention, a series
> of inaccurate sitenotices were placed on English Wikipedia and on
> several other language Wikipedias. The English notice in particular
> was displayed to the general public. [...] None of the active tech
> team were aware of any ongoing issue.

I don't understand this train of thought. If, as you say, the notice was
displayed _to the general public_, how can the tech team remain unaware
of it? Are they a bunch of robots sitting in a basement who act only
upon direct command and who never browse Wikipedia as a member of the
general public?

Presumably the main reason something was mentioned in the sitenotice but
not to the tech team is that out of all active Wikipedia admins, a great
majority (myself included) probably know how to put something in the
sitenotice but not how to contact the "active tech team". If the
sitenotice is the only course of action known to any particular admin,
then that admin will naturally take that course of action (I know I
would if I had been there).

Timwi