[WikiEN-l] What's going on? - Inquiry 2

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 16 18:14:09 UTC 2007

WikipediaEditor Durin wrote:
> The overarching problem here is that Wikipedia is collapsing. This list
> is just a symptom of that.
> * The Foundation has become ineffective and no longer cares about
>    its mission and goals. There's a number of symptoms resulting from
>    this state. One such symptom is the abysmal state of fundraising.
>    In hard numbers, the fundraising is better. In terms of per-capita
>    analysis, absolutely terrible. In short, the importance, scale and
>    complexity of Wikipedia has dramatically increased while fund
>    raising has only slightly increased. It's not keeping up, and the
>    more that it can't keep up the worse the problems will become.

By the way... on the very topic of fundraising, would you care reading
that post from Sabine, and reflecting on the fact YOU are complaining in
length about the complete and utter inability of the Foundation to
handle fundraising, and the fact people organizing fundraising on behalf
of the Foundation are faced with an abysmal lack of responsiveness from
the community members ?

I think we are all in the same pool, working toward the same goal,
dedicated to the same values. Some of us are editors and try to do the
best as editors. Some are rather helping on the software side and trying
to develop the most useful tools, some are helping with the fundraising
and trying to raise as much money as possible, without upsetting the
community, some are working on the legal side, trying to make as much as
possible sure that we avoid lawsuits or come out of them with the best
possible outcome, some are working on making sure the accounts are
audited, some are working to hunt the copyright violators, some are
lobbying government to get the most favorable laws... in short, there
are many of us, and we all try to make the best in an area we have
chosen. When you see an area in trouble, yes you may speak about it, but
the best you can do is
1) help if you can or
2) try to find other who can help if you can not
3) avoid discouraging those who are working in this area

Your email above achieve none of these three goals.

So my suggestion for you, so that you feel good at the end of this day,
is to go read Sabine blog. Read all the things she is currently working
on. Consider if you can help. If you can not, if you know someone who
can help. Or at least, give an advice to her, gives a feedback, a warm
word of support, a little wikilove. The more support she has, the more
wonderfull our next fundraiser will be

Ant