[WikiEN-l] Admins who do not have email this user enabled (list inside)

K P kpbotany at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 06:04:15 UTC 2007

On 9/15/07, K P <kpbotany at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/13/07, Wily D <wilydoppelganger at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The short answer is: If I block someone, it's not like I have to
> > respond to their emails anyhow.    While it'd be nice to enable an
> > email address - if I'm not taking emails, it'd be better if that was
> > clear, rather than dishonestly letting them sit in an "in" bin
> > forever.  Anybody's who's been blocked can request a review from a
> > second admin anyhow {{unblock|reason}}
> >
> > WilyD
> >
> That's a rather hostile attitude to take towards the community of
> editors, that you can block, and their response to the block doesn't
> matter.
>
> "Start by finding out when your block will expire....
> If you do not wish to wait for your block to expire, you may contact
> the blocking administrator via email to resolve the problem that led
> to the block. To use this feature you must have a valid email address
> registered in your user preferences. If, after discussing the matter
> with them, you still believe your block is unfair, you may appeal the
> block by requesting that another administrator review your block.
>
> But it's a total lie that "you may contact the blocking administrator
> via e-mail to resolve the problem."  Becaue you can't contact the
> blocking administrator via email and even if you can, they don't have
> to respond, and they're rather smug about telling everyone they're
> free to ignore you.
>
> What's wrong with this picture?  Just about everything.
>
> So, in other words, it should say, "You may attempt to contact the
> blocking administrator via e-mail" but the blocking adminstrator is
> not required to have e-mail enabled, and might not respond to you, and
> damn proudly not respond, either.
>
> KP

Please note, in spite of the cavalier attitude that you can always
appeal if you can't e-mail the blocking administrator the instructions
seem to be saying that have to discuss the matter with the blocking
administrator first, otherwise you have to ride out the block.  How
incredibly nasty to the peons of Wikipedia.

KP