[WikiEN-l] 2 millionth?

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 20:42:51 UTC 2007

> On 13/09/2007, Casey Brown <cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Sandy published the press release online today:
> > http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikipedia_Reaches_2_Million_Articles.
>
> Is that based on server logs? going by the data we have it apears
> fairly clear that El Hormiguero wasn't the 2 million.

Surely [[Special:Statistics]] is out-of-date by the time one's browser
finishes loading it, but by how much? Several seconds, minutes, an
hour?

Wouldn't the only reliable way to prove this be to do something like this:
1. count the number of article creations
2. then subtract the number of main space deletions
3. then add undeletions (but only those which follow a deletion rather
than a partial undeletion)
4. then add the number of net page moves *into* article space (which
will probably be a negative number).
5. subtract the number of articles edited to redirects (merged).
6. add the number of redirects edited into articles (unmerged).
7. then subtract the number of articles where *all revisions* were
silently "oversight"-ed. (oh shit!)
8. any other arithmetic I forgot about.

Counting upwards from the previous database dump, I guess...

—C.W.