[WikiEN-l] What's going on? - Inquiry 2

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 14 16:48:06 UTC 2007

WikipediaEditor Durin wrote:
> On 9/14/07, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> As it ever occurred to you that Carolyn herself may have preferred so ?
>

> Certainly.
>
> However, for a major entity such as the Wikimedia Foundation to lose
> it's Chief Operating Officer without making a formal announcement
> smacks of organizational immaturity. That this was not done, and that
> this is being *defended* smacks of reasons that the Foundation wants
> to keep hidden.

Actually no. I think that on the contrary that case was an example of us
maturing greatly.

Meanwhile, there is a confidentiality agreement with Carolyn to not
further comment. Carolyn has the full right of talking to you, but we,
as an organization, can not give details.
In the past, there were some questions of how trustworthy the Foundation
could be with confidential personal data. The Foundation was blamed
because some private data were supposingly revealed and a couple of
checkusers preferred to stop being checkusers when we requested them to
simply give us proof of their real identity, because they feared that
some spills could occur and their private data could become public.

I find quite amusing that now you are trying to blame us for precisely
respecting confidentiality :-)

Regardless, I think you'll have to get used to the fact that as the
organization is growing and maturing, all new hire and all new
resignations will not be announced noisily, nor commented in all private
details. You are perfectly free to try to guess who, why, when and what.

Ah, and... in case you wonder, Sue started a quest to look for a new COO
this summer.

On related topics, I am myself starting a quest to look for a new
treasurer since our current one (Michael) would like to move on. We may
not do a BIG announcement about that. Before you start reflecting on bad
hidden dark secrets, there is no secret. Michael has been on the board
nearly 4 years. He does not have time any more for it. He is very busy
with Wikia. He is part time working on west coast whilst his home is on
the east coast. He indicated as early as end of 2006 that he would be
ready to move out as soon as we found a good replacement. Recently, he
urged me to start actively looking for a treasurer, as he feels we now
have a staff in place allowing this change. No big deal. Just a person
who want to move on :-)

Anthere