[WikiEN-l] What's going on? - Inquiry 2

Wily D wilydoppelganger at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 16:38:29 UTC 2007

On 9/13/07, Riana <wiki.riana at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 14/09/2007, WikipediaEditor Durin <wikidurin at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 9/13/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > You're going to get rebuttals whether you like them or not. That's how
> > > rational discussion works. Refusing to listen to rebuttals is a
> > > symptom of religion, not rationality.
> >

> > To clarify; I know the rebuttals would come. Without meaning to
> > be harsh, I do not care. I'm not interested in debate on these points.
> > I'm interested in planting seeds of thought; others can run with it
> > and do their own investigation. The ad nauseum arguments we see
> > on this list and on Wikipedia lead to nothing. Either my points are
> > valid, or they are not. Remember, I'm just the quack with the
> > sandwich board. Investigate for yourself. Draw your own
> > conclusions.
> >

> Forgive me, but isn't that a huge part of the problem? We have so many
> willing to point out what's wrong, often in minute detail and colourful
> language, but we have a very small number of people who say "I have
> identified the problem. Now, what can we do to fix it? What can I do to fix
> it?"
>
> --
> Riana
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Riana
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Riana

You're forgiven, and yes it is.   Don't worry about "the shy is
falling" complaints.  Don't ask "How can I fix Wikipedia?"
Ask:
Where is an incivility  that needs to be smoothed over?
Where is a content dispture that needs to be resolved?
Where is a point of view dispute that that needs to be resolved?
Where is an article that needs writing?
Where is a licensing issue that needs resolving?
Where is an article that needs sourcing?
Where is an XFD that needs closing?
Where is an uncategorised page that needs a home?
Where is a new user who needs help with policies and guidelines?

Ask enough of these questions and you needn't worry about the first,
which you can't hope to answer anyhow.

WilyD