[WikiEN-l] [Redacted] complaining Was: Admins who do not have email this user enabled (list inside)

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 16:07:22 UTC 2007

On 13/09/2007, Armed Blowfish <diodontida.armata at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Erm, people may prefer to be contacted directly
> before being listed behind their backs.  Okay,
> so the Google ratings of the list are not that high,
> considering it is hidden from Google, but still...
> there are mirrors not hidden from Google.

"listed behind their backs"? "hidden from Google"? Um.

We're writing an encyclopedia here. Occasionally, we need to compile
lists of names of people working on the project and doing this or
that, in order to help the project run efficiently.

Is there some kind of problem here? Are we assuming that any list with
usernames on it, no matter how trivial or banal, is now somehow a
dangerous damaging thing that can't be permitted without the consent
of those mentioned?

Proportion, people, proportion. There are some really unpleasantly
confrontational undertones being assumed here...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk