[WikiEN-l] What's going on? - Inquiry 2

Christiano Moreschi moreschiwikiman at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Sep 13 13:19:12 UTC 2007

>From: Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net>
>To: English Wikipedia <wikien-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
>Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] What's going on? - Inquiry 2
>Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 09:08:59 -0400
>
>on 9/13/07 8:54 AM, Thomas Dalton at thomas.dalton at gmail.com wrote:

>never
>of us
> >>
> >> And do we accept this as a given? Do we excuse it by saying, "that's
>the way
> >> things are & always will be". And, as someone said, "that's the nature
>of a
> >> mailing list". Or, do we see it for the primitive, dehumanizing
>behavior
> >> that it is - and do something about it?
> >
> > Photos on user pages? If you know what someone looks like, they seem
> > more like a real person and less like some bits in a database.
> > Obviously, some people would not want their picture on their user
> > page, but for those that do, it might help. And improving relations
> > between those might help improve relations with the others too.
> >
>This would be a step in the right direction, Thomas. However, I still place
>the responsibility for change on the abuser. Is a blind person more abusive
>to someone simply because they can't see them?
>
>Marc

I think this is a little touchy feel. The defining quality of humanity is
reason. The extent to which some of our nationalists reject rationality
is...depressing. I have little problems with spades being called spades, and
trolls being labelled just that. In my rather crude way I don't see why
those who mess up Wikipedia should not get what they merit.

Moreschi