[WikiEN-l] preventing COI edits by corporations

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Sep 12 17:13:14 UTC 2007

xaosflux wrote:
> Exatly, many corporations provide proxied Internet access to their
> staff.  Any of their employee's who know about wikipedia are bound to
> come across their companies article and want to change it one way or
> the other.  Some of these people may by nature of their occupation be
> subject matter experts on the article and related subjects, in the
> example below it could bring in [[beer]] or [[Brewing (beer)]]
> experts.  If we want to come up with some sort of templated response
> to them it shouldn't be one that discourages them from editing so
> much as one that stresses the importance of [[WP:NPOV]] and [[WP:V]].

My aversion to templates aside, one always has to "beer" in mind that
many of the most loyal employees of a company edit with an authority,
eloquence and common sense that reminds one of a typical British
football fan's support of his favourite team.  The offerings of these
employees may show considerable contrast from the company's public
relations strategy.  Companies that are reasonably cluefull about PR
know to avoid certain losing strategies.

A brewmaster working for a major company may be in the best position to
explain how his company distinguishes between the different styles of
beer produced by the company.  One should not presume a conflict of
interest in a topic where there is no conflict at all in the first
place.  If a food manufacturing company claims a certain level of sodium
in one of its products it is important to show that that is its claim
and the source of that claim can be as ephemeral as the paper label on a
can, but if independent testing shows a much higher level of sodium that
should be reported too.

Any of these issues need to be approached with a more sophisticated
analysis than has heretofore been the case.  We could start scanning the
labels on cans, and before anyone gets the idea that such an act would
be copyright infringement, I would bring their attention to position in
law that it is expression rather than fact and ideas that are copyright.

Ec