[WikiEN-l] JSTOR and free external links

Wily D wilydoppelganger at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 14:46:18 UTC 2007

On 9/12/07, K P <kpbotany at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/11/07, Todd Allen <toddmallen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > John Lee wrote:

> > > Well, minor nitpick: we're free as in speech, not free as in beer. :p
> > >
> > > Anyhow, if this only applies to magazines/journals where a free equivalent
> > > is available, I'm all for it. Otherwise, I think it's ridiculous - if no
> > > free equivalent is available, we should use the best sources we've got,
> > > regardless of whether we have to pay to access them. I've seen articles
> > > citing subscription-only web sources have their references removed because
> > > some editors were of the view that only sources you can freely view online
> > > can be cited. (In such a case, I guess we should stop citing meatspace
> > > newspapers we have to pay for.)
> > >
> > > Johnleemk
> > >

> > My view on it has been that if references of equal quality are
> > available, but some are free (gratis) and some paid, we should use the
> > free ones. If some free references are available, but superior paid ones
> > are out there, we should use both. And if nothing free is out there, we
> > shouldn't hesitate to use the paid ones. Sometimes, paid references are
> > the only ones out there, and those are still often accessible free
> > through a public library.
> >

> I don't understand why we're promoting JSTOR, rather than linking to
> the journal directly?
>
> Seldom in the sciences is it the case that there are references of
> equal quality to choose from.  I can almost never tie my contributions
> to free journals, except for the American Journal of Botany.  But I
> don't site JSTOR, because it can be irritating.  But, actually, if the
> article has an abstract they usually allow access to the first page
> for free, so it's not true that everything on JSTOR is pay.
>
> KP

Apart from the obvious "JSTOR is better than nothing", a lot of times
even if there's a free version online, editors won't know where to
find it.  I can easily reference stuff via JSTOR, but beyond that,
unless it's Astronomy or Astrophysics, I don't know where to find
references (You find those with ADS).   I've cited ~$150 textbooks,
which aren't free (gratis or libre).  Citations are just that - they
tell you where to go look for stuff.  Cites should include as much
help as possible, including links, pay or not.  Link to pay archives
for newspapers, journals or whatever else where free ones don't exist.

Encourage people to check citations.

WilyD