[WikiEN-l] Is fair use a right as well as a defense?

Daniel R. Tobias dan at tobias.name
Wed Sep 12 00:49:35 UTC 2007

On 11 Sep 2007 at 13:29:21 +0100, "David Gerard" <dgerard at gmail.com>
wrote:

> And I didn't note that "case by case" is actually required for
> justifying fair use. If the "abuse" is removing a nonfree image, I
> generally find myself almost entirely unable to manifest two hoots.

It can be kind of frustrating, though, to try to get what one feels
is justified fair use images into the encyclopedia in the face of the
strong ideological opposition from those who want a totally purist
site in the area of copyright license.  The purists won in many
language Wikipedias, such as German, but couldn't get such an
outright victory in English, so they took the next best step for them
of continually tossing up hoops for image uploaders to jump through.
Since I uploaded quite a few top-level-domain registry logos in the
course of populating the infoboxes for TLDs (I created the TLD
infobox and spent about two years gradually getting them in place in
all the TLDs, including the 200-plus country code domains), and did
most of this uploading in the more cavalier days when image licensing
wasn't as vigorously policed as it is now, I'm faced now with a
steady stream of ominous talk-page notices posted by bots threatening
to remove this or that image unless I jump through whichever hoop
they're tossing now, like providing a source or a rationale or a
haiku.

--
== Dan ==