[WikiEN-l] Bans and online/offline reputation (was Re: Follow-up on my Ban from Wikipedia (part 3))

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 14:17:29 UTC 2007

> Indeed, I'd be very curious about this too.  Mistake of fact is not
> always a defense to libel, but I'm unaware of any jurisdiction where
> truth is not a defense of libel accusations.

Indeed. I remember the phrase "reckless disregard for the truth" from
somewhere - possibly the legal definition of defamation, which is
pretty similar to libel. You don't have to know it's false, but if you
didn't take reasonable steps to verify that it was true, you are still
liable (under UK law, anyway). If it's actually true, though, then
you're fine.