[WikiEN-l] Being bold doesn't work anymore, or why our prose is so bad.

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 04:52:10 UTC 2007

On 9/11/07, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> It's easy to come up with a counter-example by making stuff up.  Why
> not just say "William Henry Gates III (born October 28, 1955) is an
> American entrepreneur, philanthropist and chairman of Microsoft.
> [[Paul Allen]] is a person."

Sheesh. Ok here's a real example, from the first article I tried,
[[Montmartre]]:

In the popular cabaret the [[Moulin Rouge]], and at [[Le Chat Noir]],
artists, singers and performers regularly appeared including [[Yvette
Guilbert]], [[Marcelle Lender]], [[Aristide Bruant]], [[La Goulue]],
[[Georges Guibourg]], [[Mistinguett]], [[Fréhel]], [[Jane Avril]],
[[Marie-Louise Damien|Damia]] and others.

The context tells us that all those people are "artists, singers [or]
performers". But which are which? Fortunately, by hovering over each
of the names, every single lead sentence tells me. Most seem to be
actress/singers, but La Goulue and Avril were dancers.

Steve