[WikiEN-l] Is fair use a right as well as a defense?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 02:44:16 UTC 2007

On 9/11/07, Todd Allen <toddmallen at gmail.com> wrote:
> The Germans seem to have solved that question quite well. We took a page
> out of their book on userboxes, maybe we should take the flipside on
> nonfree content too. The way you remain free is to steer clear of

Losing CD and book covers is a big price to pay. We could certainly
tighten up our fair use rules even more, defining the exact
circumstances you can use a nonfree image:

* One CD cover for the article on the CD.
* One book cover for the article on the book.
* One image of a piece of artwork in the article on that artwork,
and/or the creator of it, as long as there is text discussing it.
etc.

Steve