[WikiEN-l] Being bold doesn't work anymore, or why our prose is so bad.

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 02:32:15 UTC 2007

On 9/9/07, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> But surely the text surrounding the link tells you why the person is notable.

Oh yeah. "Walter had close connections with many 18th century notables
including [[Fred Johnson]], [[Pierre de Bonsang]]...".

> > There are all sorts of reasons you'd end up on a Wikipedia article -
> > not necessarily because you're searching for more information on that
> > specific subject.
> >
> Well, yeah, if you're new page patrolling, for instance, and searching
> around for stuff to delete.  But I would think the times "normal
> people" go to an article for a reason other than to find more
> information about that subject are extremely rare.

I was a bit imprecise. I mean you often end up reading an article that
was not the specific focus of your research as a whole. Hell, much of
the time I end up on Wikipedia because I've googled an unfamiliar term
that someone dropped into a conversation - I know no context
whatsoever.

Steve