[WikiEN-l] dueling templates

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 16:50:46 UTC 2007

Bryan Derksen wrote:
> Brock Weller wrote:
>
>> Were not deleting the article, were deleting the unencyclopedic crap
>> sections. Your point is a strawman.
>>

> And since we're talking logical fallacies, you're begging the question.
> Calling the sections "unencyclopedic crap" presupposes that they're
> useless, whereas David and I have been arguing that a lot of what's in
> those sections is not crap but rather is just poorly formatted and
> integrated.

Generally, when I remove a trivia section, I do find the occasional
piece that's actually relevant, is sourced, and can be integrated. Quite
often, however, the stuff isn't even verified, is someone's personal
opinion, or is unimportant or very marginally related. Some of the
stuff's alright, but most of it that I've found so far was indeed
unencyclopedic crap. We don't have to keep every drip of data someone
ever touches an article with. Even if it's true, even if it's
verifiable, sometimes it just isn't too significant or doesn't fit. It
is OK, and even good, to -cut-, it is not "destructive", it is not
"deletionism", and it isn't mean. It's part of editing anything you want
someday to be a decent work.