[WikiEN-l] stable versions

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Sun Sep 9 04:03:33 UTC 2007

Steve Bennett wrote:
> Three negative comments about the MediaWiki developers in a row. How
> about some nice comments, about anything, for a change?

I'm sure they're well-groomed? :)

I don't have any negative comments to make about MediaWiki developers in
general, indeed in general I think they've put out a remarkable piece of
software. It's not every day that a piece of software is custom-designed
for free and then proceeds to handle the sort of workload that Wikipedia
puts on it.

But in this one particular instance of the stable version feature, I
must admit that I have become tremendously frustrated by how long
something like this been promised but not delivered. I don't expect it's
any specific person's fault, perhaps just a systemic problem resulting
from the crossover of the software development side and the editor side
of decision-making processes, but from the outside it's not obvious what
the holdup is.