[WikiEN-l] Packet sniffing, etc. (was Re: Follow-up on my Ban from Wikipedia (part 2))

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 16:51:28 UTC 2007

On  0, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> scribbled:
> On 9/8/07, Todd Allen <toddmallen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Unless you are editing through the SSL version. I've started doing that
> > even though I don't use proxies, I don't think it's a bad idea for
> > admins (at least) to use it. I've noticed very little difference in
> > speed, certainly not enough to be bothersome.
>
> Until you accidentally follow one of the zillion URLs that take you
> back to non-secure if you're logged in there. :)

But if you're using secure.wikimedia, would you be logged in on en.wikipedia? As I've said, I've been editing through the former for some months now, and whenever I am sent to an en.wikipedia.org link, I'm not logged in.

> As far as speed goes if you're using TOR SSL is the least of your speed worries.

Yes, that's definitely true. Every little bit helps though, and if you are running a server, you actually get really good browsing speed - subjectively, I felt like my Tor browsing no more than halved (or less on a good day!) the speed when I was running a server. I still don't know whether this is because it cut out a hop (since the server was now on the local machine) or because my traffic was somehow being favored.

--
gwern
security Ortega Firewalls propaganda 5707 b underground imapct Security Spall