[WikiEN-l] Being bold doesn't work anymore, or why our prose is so bad.

Monahon, Peter B. Peter.Monahon at USPTO.GOV
Fri Sep 7 12:15:28 UTC 2007

> Earlier: "... [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_strike
> article editing] ... Is it just me being
> jaded and impatient? Or is this the
> reason so much of Wikipedia prose
> is so crap? Because the payoff for
> trying to fix it is so small, and editors
> put so much weight on every possible
> detail being retained, at the expense
> of clarity and readability?

Peter Blaise responds:

May I suggest expanding http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Bird_strike to
connect (CONNECT) with the other editors, and fill as many
discussion/talk pages as are appropriate with an exploration with the
people concerned.

On the one hand, yes, it seems like a lot of work.  Democracies are like
that.  On the other hand, not only will all editors involved probably
learn much, but the next time in a similar situation, all will be better
prepared by the experience.

And, the article may develop, also.

The Wikipedia article pages are a RESULT of community building on the
discussion/talk pages, not an alternative.

In other words, what did the other editors say when offered to explore
this on the discussion/talk page for that article?  Hint, hint.  ;-)

-- Peter Blaise