[WikiEN-l] Being bold doesn't work anymore, or why our prose is so bad.

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 05:07:50 UTC 2007

Bryan Derksen wrote:
> Ben Yates wrote:
>
>> We really, really need stable versions.  There's no point in trying to
>> spruce up the writing style of heavily-trafficked articles until we
>> get them; I gave up a long time ago.
>>

> There's a new MediaWiki version coming up very soon now, will stable
> versions finally be enabled in it?
>
> Pretty please? I've been telling Wikipedia critics "stable versions
> could potentially improve situation X" for _years_ now and I'm starting
> to feel I've been making a fool of myself.

And how about weeklong blocks for OWNership, while we're at it?

(Yes, I'm kidding. Well mostly kidding.)

But really, we do need something done about that. I don't have any
brilliant ideas at this point, but it is a problem. I've always
suggested putting the bit at the bottom of the edit screen (you know,
that part half the people reading this message are going to look for
because they've never read it), where it says " If you don't want your
writing to be edited mercilessly or redistributed for profit by others,
*do not submit it*" (emphasis in original) at the top of the edit
screen. In 18-point type. And maybe bright red while we're at it.