[WikiEN-l] The more I think about my ban from Wikipedia, the more I realize how wrong it was.

John Lee johnleemk at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 18:35:34 UTC 2007

> >> Earlier: "... I receive ... private emails from Members of this List
> >>
> > Community ... persons ... NOT banned or moderated ... but who fear
> > ending up that way [anywhere] if they voice their opinions ..."
> >
> > Ditto.  Some of my most valuable correspondents are off list.  I'm even
> > maintaining a connection with one moderator (of another list) who banned
> > me for actions not on the list - another Zen Cohan if ever there was
> > one!
> >
> FYI: It's [[Koan]] rather than "Cohan". I doubt that the Buddhists would
> have been big advocates of Yankee-Doodle Dandyism. :-)
>
> The most disturbing thing about that exchange was that the person
> proposing a more open distribution of information understood the nature
> of privacy and confidence, while at least one opponent did not believe
> that the discussion could move forward unless these trusts were broken.

Excuse me? What is the point of posting a vague alarmist description of
apparent terror imposed on the list by ostensibly totalitarian mods, and
then refusing to disclose any details, or provide any means of obtaining
details from or otherwise engaging in conversation with those who fear
retaliation? Is there any other way to approach the issue? If there isn't,
then why broach it if there is no feasible way to address it?

I'm not even asking that I see the specific emails or for the names of those
worried to be revealed publicly. They can contact me or any of the other
mods with their concerns; we never place people on moderation for off-list
incidents.

If these people have no intent of seeking to address the problem, but
instead find someone else to make a vague explanation of the problem on the
list, while refusing to come forward (at least to the mods or a mod) to aid
resolution of the issues at hand, then how do you expect *anything* to move
forward?

Johnleemk