[WikiEN-l] The more I think about my ban from Wikipedia, the more I realize how wrong it was.

K P kpbotany at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 04:51:25 UTC 2007

On 9/5/07, Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name> wrote:

> Unfortunately, the way Wikipedia culture has evolved these days,
> there seems to be a large tendency to "cry for blood" all the time,
> and to conduct "troll hunts".  There's an extremely vindictive,
> punitive attitude all around, and a belief that it's more important
> to protect the fragile egos of long-time Wikipedians than to try to
> be fair to newbies who may just be inept or frustrated rather than
> being the evil trolls they're often labeled as when they rub somebody
> the wrong way.  Once somebody with some status on Wikipedia claims to
> be attacked, harrassed, stalked, or otherwise bothered by somebody
> with lesser status, it's all over for them... everybody else circles
> their wagons and has no interest in hearing the other side of the
> dispute (and there are *always* at least two sides to any dispute).
> --
> == Dan ==
> Dan's Mail Format Site: http://mailformat.dan.info/
> Dan's Web Tips: http://webtips.dan.info/
> Dan's Domain Site: http://domains.dan.info/

And voila! it's a sock puppet accusation, the safest of all
accusations, and even if a checkuser is run that shows they're not the
same IP, it can be concluded that they're in the same geographic
region, or once used a similar IP, so it must be a sock puppet, and
sock puppet accusations get permanent bans without community consensus
and without the person being allowed to defend themselves.

Just another way check user is abused.

And it's making the community look rotten to the core.

KP