[WikiEN-l] SEO

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 19:09:15 UTC 2007

On 9/3/07, Durova <nadezhda.durova at gmail.com> wrote:

> Where were you shot down for trying to stop journals from spamming?
> Although actual referencing is welcome, spam is still spam.  I favor a
> softer approach with this sort of poster because there's a better
> possibility that the individual will become a useful contributor, but I
> also
> recall a deliberate and rather baldfaced campaign by one university
> library
> to boost its site traffic by adding low quality links to Wikipedia
> articles.
>
> -Durova

Citation? I'm curious about the campaign you mention... Adding links to
relevant online library collections in appropriate articles is something
I've advocated for in the past; certainly having links to good resources
(which libraries often provide) is good for Wikipedia. And while I do
appreciate KP's de-spamming efforts, the "further reading" section has a
place.... providing a list of academic journals on a topic as broad as "food
safety" doesn't seem unreasonable. The contributor's actions seemed
confused, but not necessarily like true spam. A new contributor wouldn't
really know about the discussions that happen elsewhere, would they?

-- phoebe