[WikiEN-l] Fromowner

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 5 17:00:54 UTC 2007

David Gerard wrote:
> As for the joys of graphic design competitions around Wikimedia, I
> commend to you the following page, which explains in pictures why
> graphic designers are paid money:
>
>    http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/International_logos_%28overview%29
>
> Mind you, we did get three really good ones (the puzzle globe, the
> Wikimedia logo and the Mediawiki logo) out of it. But hoo boy.

Heh heh. The irony is that it's not much worse than what design firms
have been known to submit in competitions.

It's like with the donations - people say every year "we'll have to
start taking advertising just like everybody else", and yet simply
asking for money has worked pretty well, better than most imagined it would.

Stan