[WikiEN-l] Why are URLs numbered?

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 08:46:23 UTC 2007

On 9/5/07, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/5/07, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> > That will mangle attempts to do standard administrative history and
> > link references in the context of an inline discussion on a talk or
> > notice page, though...
>
> That's because the referencing section isn't flexible enough (yet).
> It's also not possible to have multiple footnotes sections, for
> example. Perhaps some more magic words would help:
>
> {{EXPANDREFS}} - render <ref>foo</ref> as [foo] or something, until
> further notice.
> {{URLSTOREFS}} - automatically convert [http://foo.com] to something
> like <ref>http://foo.com</ref>. This would solve the problem of talk
> pages, as that tag wouldn't be present on the talk page, so it would
> render normally...
>
> (that second magic word might have to be reworded, it's pretty unreadable :)
>
> Steve

It would be better, I think, to have a namespace-based variable for
"old / current style", "convert to new inline form", and "convert to a
<ref> tag".

New inline on Wikipedia: and Talk: and User / User talk:, convert to
ref tag on article space?

Perhaps allow an inline keyword override, but a default to "do the
right contextual thing" which is almost certainly correctly based on
the namespace seems like the first thing to do if you're going to do
anything here...

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com