[WikiEN-l] Why are URLs numbered?

FT2 ft2.wiki at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 06:53:43 UTC 2007

Re-examining what's best to display is no bad thing. The system for URL's
far predates cite.php for example.

The use of numbers is sensible; like footnotes you want to be able to say
*which* link of many, if notionally discussing a page. But the numbers for
URLs clash with the numbers for footnote cites, so there can be two number
1's on a page easily. That's unhelpful. Also it may be that labelling them
some better way is possible. Some ideas:

1 - give them numberings that fit in with footnote numberings, so that at
least url / cite numbers are not duplicated.

2 - give them a different look, maybe [url-1] ... [url-2] ...

3. - auto-render all [http://link.com] as <ref>http://link.com</ref>. It's
not perfect but the information's the best there is and its consistent in
style.

I like #3.

FT2.