[WikiEN-l] Who's moderated?

Rich Holton richholton at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 06:12:26 UTC 2007

Marc Riddell wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I just learned by private email, that one of most articulate and frequent
> contributors to this List is on moderation.
>
> In the interest of full and honest disclosure, I would like to see a list of
> all persons who are currently on moderation - and why.
>
> Marc Riddell

I've actually read through most of this thread so far. Just a couple
observations:

* I prefer the moderators to use moderation sparingly. I'd rather that I
make the decision of who I should ignore. Of course, pure spam should be
moderated. And abusive posts as well. But I would rather not see someone
moderated for simply being disliked and persistent.

* Somewhere in the thread it was mentioned that most non-automatic
moderations are announced on list. I know I seen such announcements in
the past. Isn't this list archived? Could not someone search through the
archives and compile a list? Labor-intensive, yes. But doable. And the
fact that those announcements *are* made would seem to reduce the weight
of any argument about "privacy" or "black marks". There does not seem to
be any presumption of privacy regarding moderation on the list. (I'm not
referring here to the issue of other private data being included in some
posting of a list).

* Which raises a third point, or question really: Are there times when a
contributor is put on moderation and intentionally not announced to the
list? That would be troubling...the exception being, I suppose, if
someone were to request that it not be announced to the list in their
case, but that seems an unlikely scenario, since as I understand it,
there is no "negotiating" over moderation.

-Rich Holton