[WikiEN-l] What en:wp would look like printed out

John Lee johnleemk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 14:00:55 UTC 2007

On 9/4/07, Wily D <wilydoppelganger at gmail.com> wrote:

> I couldn't resist commenting on this, because I read this email the same
> time I came across
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haitian_presidential_election%2C_1988
>
> In the speedy deletion bin (little or no context).  Now, I just want to
> bitch a little bit here - certain articles should never be deleted, only
> expanded.  "Russia is a country" provides very little context, but it
> requires expansion, not deletion.  No reasonable person would advocate the
> general deletion of articles on real presidential elections of any
> country.
> Deletion should be reserved for unsalvagable articles, either articles
> with
> no value (and this had a bit of value) or articles on subjects that can
> never hope to be encyclopaedic.  But a Haitian presidential election?
> Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

If you ask me, "no context" is a ridiculous reason to tag substubs for
deletion, unless they are really incomprehensible. I usually let people know
that this isn't such a bright idea after I remove the tag; they usually
don't complain, which to me indicates they were probably gold mining and/or
are overenthusiastic "contributors".

Johnleemk