[WikiEN-l] Who's moderated?

Mark Ryan ultrablue at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 04:37:39 UTC 2007

On 04/09/07, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:
*snip*
> What I would like to see:
>
> 1) A List of persons in this Community who are currently on Moderation; and
> the reason they are being moderated.
>
> 2) Any person on moderation who chooses not to be identified on this list,
> has the right not to be.
>
> 3) That only blatant spam, and unintelligible bullshit be moderated from the
> List. I can only imagine the amount and type of crap you must weed through.
> But, please, allow me the right to decide what I do and do not want to read.
>
> That's it folks,
>
> Marc

I get the feeling you might have missed my email some way up in this
thread which addresses most of what you have been asking.

In short, here are my responses to your three things there:

1. You are not going to see such a list, because it is very long,
consists of private information and is almost entirely made up of
people automatically moderated upon subscription. If we had wanted to
make the list of subscribers to the mailing list public, we would have
enabled that option in the mailing list settings.

2. See above.

3. Generally the only things which get moderated (i.e. not allowed
through to the mailing list) from moderated users is personal
attacks/incivility/unintelligible spam/repetition which has exhausted
the patience of subscribers to the point of them asking for the person
to be moderated.

If you feel that you would do a better job as one of the list
administrators than the current ones, then I encourage you to ask the
mailing list/Wikipedia community for support in such an effort. I'm
not sure I like your chances, though, because what you are proposing
would annoy the hell out of a lot of subscribers.

~Mark Ryan