[WikiEN-l] Who's moderated?

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 3 18:01:17 UTC 2007

K P wrote:
> On 9/3/07, Stan Shebs <stanshebs at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Marc Riddell wrote:
>>
>>> Yes! If this List, much less the Project, is to maintain any credibility,
>>> and the confidence of its Community, it has got to remain open, fair and
>>> honest to all. Secrecy breeds suspicion, which breeds distrust. I have never
>>> blindly followed anyone. And too many people have ended up in my therapy
>>> room for having done just that.
>>>

>> So then I don't understand why you haven't published all of *your*
>> personal info here - bio, family history, bank account numbers (so I can
>> crosscheck against my list of Microsoft-funded shills, for instance),
>> credit cards, etc. All that is useful in interpreting your postings, so
>> why keep it all secret and breed distrust in the rest of us? You're
>> digging for information on other people that they haven't agreed to
>> disclose, but then turn around and expect to keep information about
>> yourself secret.
>>
>> Stan
>>

> Stan, this is a bit unlike you, comparing apples and oranges to make a point.

Well, Marc made a statement about fruit in general, so I wasn't really
being flippant, not too much anyway. :-) There is a lot of stuff that
remains secret even in large open online projects, often for very good
reasons. As a former manager in a company that did some highly
confidential work on open-source software, I know a lot of secrets, some
of which would unfairly destroy people's reputations if I blurted them
all out one day (and given the amount of Japanese business involved, the
yakuza would likely get to me before the legal system would, ha ha).

In fact, one of the ways that potential volunteers evaluate large online
projects is by whether the degree of openness is compatible with one's
personality. For instance, some of the BSD Unix projects have long had a
reputation for secrecy, at least partly because of paranoia over
security bugs, and the participants like it that way - newbies aspire to
a position of sufficient trust to be told about unfixed security holes,
etc. I work on Firefox these days, and every random accusation of closed
decisionmaking causes a flurry of navelgazing angst among the senior
Mozillians. WP is very open, and openness is pretty well ingrained in
the culture; you're going to have a hard time finding a more open
project out there.

Stan