[WikiEN-l] Who's moderated?

John Lee johnleemk at gmail.com
Mon Sep 3 12:59:16 UTC 2007

On 9/3/07, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:

> >> I omitted the name of the person because I learned it during a private
> >> conversation. And mentioning it would have violated a trust.
> >
> > On 9/3/07, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:
> >> I am still puzzled by why the persons being moderated (censored) on
> this
> >> List need to be held so close to the vest; is there a stigma attached
> to it?
>
> on 9/2/07 11:46 PM, Stephen Bain at stephen.bain at gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > So, hang on, are you saying that it should be kept private or that it
> > shouldn't?
>
> It should be kept private only if the person being moderated wishes it to
> be.

In such a case, then why should the list mods make the list of those on
moderation public? Shouldn't the presumption be that this information ought
to be private unless the person decides otherwise?

> > By the way, if you feel that the mods are doing a bad job, you should
> > try discussing it with them. From the tone of your messages, I'm
> > presuming you haven't already done so, and have instead complained
> > publicly.
>
> It is a public issue.

Frankly, as a list mod, I would only make the list of those moderated public
if there was a consensus to do so, either amongst the active list members or
the list mods. (I can't say much about the /reason/ these people were placed
on moderation; the software does not allow for such record-keeping, although
maybe it ought to.)

If someone on moderation wanted to make this fact public, they could easily
write to the list complaining about being on moderation, and if the mods
rejected that email, write to a fellow list member who could then raise the
issue. If the issue of that person being on moderation is of public concern,
it will receive a hearing on the list; otherwise, it will not. Typically,
the mods announce when someone is placed on moderation, so it is usually a
matter of public record anyway.

In any event, as someone suggested earlier, if we want a rough list of
active list members who are on moderation, all we need is for those of them
who wish to make this fact public to reply to this email. If they really
think the list mods are evil megalomaniacs who will not approve those
postings, then they can send their emails to you or someone else for
forwarding to the list.

Johnleemk