[WikiEN-l] Who's moderated?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Sep 3 02:35:43 UTC 2007

Marc Riddell wrote:
> on 9/2/07 8:04 PM, Ray Saintonge at saintonge at telus.net wrote
>> I do have mixed feelings on this because it is a question of conflicting
>> values.  Both privacy rights and operational transparency are
>> important.  Still it is not enough to say that we must trust somebody
>> simply because he is in a position of leadership.  Most people in that
>> position will not abuse the position, but occasionally some do, or
>> perhaps we need sound data so that the community can determine whether
>> the underlying policy is correct.
>>
>> We don't need a list of the dedicated spammers; that would be too
>> boring.  We don't need to know the names of the list newcomers who start
>> with a clearly offensive or overly aggressive post, though some
>> statistics would be interesting.  I would still be more sympathetic to
>> knowing about what happens to people who were already list members, and
>> who went over some kind of line.  This is where the community may have a
>> different opinion about the punishment.  Perhaps the affected person
>> should have some input into whether the action should be kept confidential.
>>
> Is is really the persons being moderated who want the fact be kept
> confidential?

It often happens that people in conflict with governments make detailed
public statements about the incident, but governments (with police being
the worst) clam up saying that it is because of privacy restrictions.
It makes you wonder whose privacy they are protecting.
> If I were to become a moderated voice on this List - I would want EVERYONE
> to know. Then let the other Members of the Community decide if that voice is
> one they want to be protected from.
Then it would seem that what is needed is a mechanism so that allows
moderated users the opportunity to have that fact made public.

Ec