[WikiEN-l] Who's moderated?

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Sun Sep 2 22:34:52 UTC 2007

Marc Riddell wrote:
> I didn't realize Lists had owners. And, why is it private?
>
> I'm learning more and more about this culture every day :-(

Hi, Marc. As somebody else, "owner" isn't meant in the territorial
sense. It's more like "responsible party of last resort", and related
terms are "moderator" and "list mom".

List moderation is a necessary evil for large lists. The more people you
have, the more likely someone won't act with sufficient regard for
others. If you let that go, then the jerks will drive out the useful
contributors and the list will die. Indeed, I've been half wishing for a
fully moderated Wikipedia mailing list, as this one sometimes teeters on
the brink of usefulness to me.

Anyhow, moderation is nothing new; the earliest mention I can easily
find is 1991 [1], and I'm pretty sure I saw moderated lists in the late
80s.

William

[1] Computer Networking for Educational Researchers on BITNET; Jean W.
Pierce; Gene V. Glass; Joseph L. Byers; Educational Researcher, Vol. 20,
No. 1 (Jan., 1991), pp. 21-23

--
William Pietri <william at scissor.com>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:William_Pietri