[WikiEN-l] Misogyny is the perfect troll

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 06:23:17 UTC 2007

On 8/31/07, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I will not comment on the "few women in the upper echelons of
> Wikipedia", but I can comment on the "very numerous women in the upper
> echelons of the Foundation".
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Wikimania_2007_dungodung_79.jpg
> this is a picture taken at Wikimania, the first wikichix meeting.
>
> From top, going to the right
> Sue Gardner, head of executive
> Henna, dev, from netherlands
> Phoebe, usa, leader of Wikimania 2006 and co-organiser of 2007
> Frieda, italian, chair of Wikimedia Italy, board member of WMF
> Delphine, french, chapter coordinator of WMF
> Oooops, memory hole...
> Brianna, australia, wikicommons (keen I think)
> Another memory hole, shame on me. She is german and very involved in
> various Wikimedia Deutschland activity.
> Kat, usa, board member
> Aphaia, japanese, translation committee head
> Anthere, chair of WMF
> Sandy, communication manager
>
> And I could cite many other good people missing here.
> Angela, previous board member, now chair of advisory board
> Sabine, new fundraising manager
> Elly, chair of Wikimedia Netherlands
> Alison, chair of Wikimedia UK

The 'memory holes' are Kate, English Wikipedian, admin and GIS expert, and
Nina from the German chapter. Also missing from this picture: KJ and
Frances, two of the top organizers in the Taiwan team for the 2007
conference; and the dozens of other women who were present as organizers,
presenters and attendees (we just had an informal gathering, with little
publicity). As a very subjective and imprecise guess, I'd say there were
more women present at 2007's conference than in 2006; and certainly more in
2006 than in 2005. It's hard to say whether the in-person conferences
represent the body of editors and contributors as a whole; but there are
certainly more female editors in the projects than folks seem to be
assuming.

-- phoebe