[WikiEN-l] Attributing "attribution required" free images

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue Oct 30 18:14:15 UTC 2007

> On Oct 30, 2007 1:21 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> > Presumably each author would only be listed once on the credits page,
> > as opposed to possibly hundreds or thousands of times on "the history
> > page".  That alone makes a credits page much more useful than "the
> > history page".
>
> Sure, so the one time vandal gets equal time to the person with
> thousands of edits.
> I guess we'll have to disagree on this one.

Not sure exactly what you mean by "equal time", but the list could
always be ordered by number of edits, so at least those with the most
edits get their name on top.

If the one-time vandal is reverted, a bot could always go through and
remove reverted editors.

But otherwise, yeah, I don't see listing the same name over and over
again as an advantage.

> > I think a semi-automated credits page would make the most sense.  So
> > "Throbbing Monster Cock" would get attribution by default, but this
> > attribution could be removed manually (or in some cases, by a bot).
> > Likewise, names could be manually added for copy/paste moves or
> > whatever.
>
> Hm. How about an editable part, then the image credits. Then a big
> list of all names which excludes anyone listed in the editable part.
> The big list could have vandal names hidden by sysops (bots?), and
> people who have opted-out are hidden.

I'd find that acceptable.

> > But when someone makes a significant edit to a page, they would be
> > attributed automatically by default (they could opt-out of this, I
> > guess).
>
> Perhaps make the minor edit flag into a per edit opt-out flag. If all
> your edits are marked minor you are hidden in the credits page by
> default. Otherwise you can go hide yourself.

Sounds good to me.