[WikiEN-l] Attributing "attribution required" free images

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 01:36:36 UTC 2007

On 10/30/07, Eugene van der Pijll <eugene at vanderpijll.nl> wrote:

> In my opinion, the (C) really gives the wrong impression. It will be
> understood to mean: don't copy this image. Which is exactly the wrong
> message for an encyclopedia that tries to be Free.

I don't think that's true. Flickr uses a grey "(c)" (backwards?) for the
link to licence information. I think the (C) is a good indicator that you
shouldn't just pinch the image without thinking. You should stop, check the
licence information, then go ahead.

In any case, most Wikipedia images *are* copyrighted. They're also free
licenced.

Steve