[WikiEN-l] Attributing "attribution required" free images

Eugene van der Pijll eugene at vanderpijll.nl
Mon Oct 29 23:51:20 UTC 2007

Gregory Maxwell schreef:
> On 10/29/07, Eugene van der Pijll <eugene at vanderpijll.nl> wrote:
> > Not really, 99% of our text is written by Wikipedians, who have no
> > expectation to be prominently attributed; we have taken many of our best
> > pictures from outsiders, many of whom expect more prominent credit to be
> > given. They don't care about, and haven't ever explicitly agreed to
> > Wikipedia's internal rules on attribution.
>
> Cite?

For wat?

"expect more prominent credit to be given":
http://duncandavidson.com/archives/564

One argument for not crediting photographers in the article itself, is
that we don't credit authors either, other than in the history (which is
at least one click away). But what people aren't perhaps aware of that
we *do* credit text that was imported from outside Wikipedia: see for
example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Whatlinkshere/Template:1911
and also the article [[Leptocereus grantianus]], which I copied from a
U.S. government website.

I could have not credited the original source except for an edit
summary; that would have given the same attribution to the external
source as to a Wikipedian. I didn't; likewise I'd prefer to credit
images that we have pilfered from outsiders within the image captions.

I like the [i] with a link to the description page on
[[User:Thebainer/thumbtest]], by the way.

Eugene