[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia struggles, Mozilla set for life?

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu Oct 25 14:05:59 UTC 2007

On 10/25/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Oh hell, I'll do it.  Let's say $2 CPM (that's low according to
> > http://www.sitepoint.com/article/introducing-google-adsense), on 7
> > billion page views per month
> > (http://www.webpronews.com/blogtalk/2007/06/12/wikipedia-wikimedia-traffic).
> >  That's $14 million a month, which would mean roughly $7 million from
> > two weeks of ads.
>
> That website is 4 years old. Are returns from ads still that good? I
> thought they had dropped significantly over the last few years.

I don't see why I'm in any better position than you to answer that
question.  In fact, apparently you're more familiar with it than I am.

I also gave myself a factor of three in possible mistakes, and
actually I halved the low end of what that site said was the average
CPM ($4-5).  So I really have a fudge factor of 6x+.

I'm not going to spend tons of time coming up with really accurate
estimates, because I think it's so blindingly obvious that you could
make as much as you do in fundraising for the year in less than a
month using targeted text ads.