[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia struggles, Mozilla set for life?

Peter Ansell ansell.peter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 04:24:48 UTC 2007

On 25/10/2007, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23/10/2007, Nick <heligolandwp at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > We need an open and sensible discussion about adverts, but I suspect this
> > won't be happening. It's not upto the users now, it's solely upto the board
> > and if they want to try and run Wikipedia on donations, it's their
> > prerogative.
>
> Nothing is solely up to the foundation. Plenty of people have made it
> clear they would leave/fork if adverts were added to Wikipedia. If the
> foundation wants to continue to have projects to host, they need to
> listen to what their users want. They understand this, I think it very
> odd that so many users seem not to.

By users you mean more than just the handful of active users? If the
active users who are freedom fanatics forked, their place would be
filled by the many contributors who don't contribute now due to the
amount of bureaucracy and philosophy that gets thrown around. Users
won't abandon Wikipedia because of ads, they never abandoned anyone
else because of it, why start with the single most handy resource on
the web.

Peter