[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia struggles, Mozilla set for life?

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed Oct 24 16:45:47 UTC 2007

On 10/24/07, Christiano Moreschi <moreschiwikiman at hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

> I though Wikipedia was about building an encyclopedia, not a community? It
> doesn't matter how the community works in the slightest, provided it yields the
> desired product.

There are many different possible encyclopedias that we can build. The
hypothesis for also building and maintaining a healthy community is
that it leads to a higher quality, more diverse, more inclusive, more
sustainable encyclopedic work.

> I agree with this, though: "Few corporations even begin to grasp the dynamics of
> a community like ours". This is quite correct. Few corporations even begin to
> grasp the concept of letting the lunatics take over the asylum.

And that's why there can only be one Wikipedia. :-)

When you are done griping, perhaps you have some useful suggestions --
preferably not in the usual uncreative "zero tolerance, shoot on
sight" category that only tends to make matters worse. Surely ArbCom
is not the best and only decision making process for contentious cases
we can come up with.
--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik