[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia and IRC

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Oct 23 23:40:39 UTC 2007

Phoenix wiki wrote:
> I've noticed that a lot of wikipedia users don't like irc. I was wondering
> why. Is it just because it's not as transparent?
I can only answer for myself, and the reason is quite different.  When
something is said on the mailing list I can take my time to come up with
a thoughtful response, and even then I have at times been too hasty in
my comments.  If I do that in a chat room, then by the time I am ready
to send my answer the other participants may have long since moved on to
a different subject.

Ec