[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia and IRC

joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu
Tue Oct 23 22:31:12 UTC 2007

Quoting Phoenix wiki <phoenix.wiki at gmail.com>:

> I've noticed that a lot of wikipedia users don't like irc. I was wondering
> why. Is it just because it's not as transparent?
>
> Phoenix 15

That is one of many concerns. Also, many people seem not to think as much when
they are on IRC and so drama quickly ensues. Proponents argue that a) it is a
fun way to build more feelings of community b) that it is useful in emergency
situations ( vandals needing quick responses, emergency dessysopings). Also I
don't think anyone thinks that transparency is necessarily better: if the
ArbCom mailing list was open to everyone to see we would have serious
problems.
Similarly, if everyone could see all deleted edits we would have issues. Like
many things, there is a balance. Speaking as someone who does not use IRC for
Wikipedia purposes, one thing that does annoy me and other editors is that a
discussion can be ongoing on AN or ANI and then a result opposite that of the
direction of the discussion can occur based on a few editors talking on IRC.