[WikiEN-l] fundraising

Casey Brown cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 20:22:50 UTC 2007

This is an excellent point and has been the main focus of this year's
fundraiser: testimonials.  Of the items Anthere asked earlier in this thread
to be translated, some of these were testimonials.  The quips found in the
banner are comments by those who donated, that is what we are trying to
collect and what we want to share with our users and readers.

On 10/23/07, Oskar Sigvardsson <oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is somewhat off-topic, but I'd like to remind all of you
> hard-working stiffs who do nothing all day but argue over tiny points
> of wikipedia policy and generally spends your day fighting other
> editors to check out the comments left by those who have donated:
>
> http://donate.wikimedia.org/en/fundcore_browse
>
> It is one of my favourite distractions during fundraising season.
> Instead of all that "Wikipedia can't be trusted!" and "Wikipedians are
> run by an evil cabal that is out to destroy me!" you get to hear what
> normal people really think about us. Like:
>
> "Thank you Wikipedia! The best web-site and project ever!"
>
> "Thanks for hours of interesting reading. I wish you many more years
> of enlightening the world."
>
> "Thanks for not censoring important information (e.g. civil rights)
> like Google, Yahoo, and Microsoft have done in China."
>
> "I wish I could give more."
>
> That last one was from someone who gave $100. Some are just plain fun:
>
> "If you think about giving to Wikipedia, ask yourself "What would Jesus do
> ?""
>
> That's right, anonymous dude from the UK who gave £10, Jesus WOULD
> donate to Wikipedia!
>
> --Oskar

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023