[WikiEN-l] fundraising

Durova nadezhda.durova at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 16:51:30 UTC 2007

Phil Sandifer wrote:

> On Oct 23, 2007, at 7:01 AM, Florence Devouard wrote:
>
>>  I know there was work as well on Jimmy's video (which I
>> first saw 48 hours ago).
>
> My favorite part of the video, btw, is that French is the first
> language to come up when he identifies the Wikipedias of the
> developing world.
>
> -Phil

That was my very first comment as well when I saw the video the first
time. My husband was watching it at the same time, and he went ROFL.

Eh !
******
There's some merit to this actually.  French is an official language in 29
countries.  While it's worthwhile to improve the Haitian Creole Wikipedia,
many Haitians are bilingual with standard French and benefit from the
strength of the larger Wikipedia.  Likewise for French Guyana and some
former colonies in Africa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_where_French_is_an_official_language

Ultimately it'd be great to develop strong Wikipedias in people's first
languages, of course.

-Durova