[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu
Sun Oct 21 23:21:13 UTC 2007

Quoting Steve Summit <scs at eskimo.com>:

> William Pietri wrote:
>> ...the question of external links in other spaces would yield to a
>> similar approach, but it's not as directly analogous.
>
> At the risk of prolonging a discussion that's already rather
> egregiously long in the tooth, what do people think about those?
> One of the larger objections to BADSITES and its resurrection
> in WP:NPA#EL concerned the prohibition of links to attack sites
> even in talk and project spaces, even as part of sober discussion
> of the alleged personal attacks.  Is there still any sentiment to
> keep trying to ban those kinds of links?

I have more sympathy with such bans because they don't violate NPOV or
diminish
article content. I think such bans are generally bad ideas since we can just
remove any form of trolling without any linking policy. But a bad idea is not
nearly as problematic as one that actively harms the encyclopedia.