[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia: The Missing Manual (O'Reilly, Dec 2007)

cohesion cohesion at sleepyhead.org
Sun Oct 21 20:27:25 UTC 2007

Do people honestly think that you have to get permission from the
subject of a book before you write about it? What weird
intellectual-property brainwashing must have gone on there.

And yes, forcing people to give away something they have worked for is
robbery, and in my opinion morally wrong. If it were legal (which
clearly it isn't) it would still be wrong. Just because something is
legal doesn't make it right.

Trademark means other people can't start an encyclopedia and call it
Wikipedia, or use the logo to imply the foundation supports something
they don't etc. It doesn't mean you need permission from the
foundation to utter the phrase, or write it down. This is a good
thing. Freedom of speech, expression etc.

I'm a little frightened by some of the views in this thread... Seems
like people, given a tiny pretense of ownership of IP will immediately
take on the most extreme views. We aren't the foundation, and
trademark law does not allow people to stop a open discourse about a
topic. Thank goodness.

Judson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cohesion