[WikiEN-l] Cla68 blocked for asking question

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Sun Oct 21 07:42:44 UTC 2007

Daniel R. Tobias wrote:
> On 20 Oct 2007 at 20:48:48 -0700, "Steven Walling"
> <steven.walling at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>  For a long time,
>> civility and WikiLove have been rhetoric without any force behind them, or
>> at least the force of a block. Perhaps it's time for admins to step up to
>> the plate more when it comes to trolls who dance around the letter of the
>> law to stick around.
>>

> Your first impression makes more sense to me.  Love isn't something
> you can gain by force or threat of it.  Fear, yes, and maybe
> compliance, but not love.

Well, that's not precisely true.

I agree you can't force people to be loving. But force is sometimes
necessary to create a space where people can build trust, which is a
cornerstone of a loving community.

It's tricky, though. People tend to give what they get, so being tough
can rebound on you. Especially if you're in a rush. Force misapplied or
poorly explained can quickly undermine the trust you're looking to create.

William

--
William Pietri <william at scissor.com>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:William_Pietri