[WikiEN-l] [[Views of Lyndon LaRouche]] indefinitely full protected

John Lee johnleemk at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 22:22:28 UTC 2007

On 10/20/07, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:

> As I said in my other reply, this is far from the first article space full
> protection.  It may be the first one implimented consciously and
> intentionally without a time limit on it, however.
>
> How many years of persistent, organized abuse does it take to justify
> sterner measures?
>
> If this is unnecessary a month from now, tomorrow, or next year, I or
> another administrator can unprotect.  I don't have any authority to order
> it
> truly permanently protected; Jimmy or the Foundation or Arbcom might, but
> don't.  All I can do it state the case for the situation and see if the
> rest
> of the en.wp admin community agree and leave it, or disagree and overturn
> the protection.

As I understand it, this is how protection has always worked - at least
until the software supported automatic expiry of protections. Until then,
all articles were protected indefinitely until the dispute was cleared up.
This is still a perfectly valid thing to do today.

What perturbs me is why announce this to the mailing list if this is just a
routine protection? Did the policies on page protection change to mandate a
time limit for all protections?

Johnleemk