[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

Durova nadezhda.durova at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 02:53:40 UTC 2007

Here's one possible way to implement this that wouldn't relate to the NPOV
policy: don't remove links, simply deactivate them.  The same information
remains for anyone who wants to cut and paste the URL into a browser
manually.  The article content isn't affected.  What does get affected is
the outgoing traffic from Wikipedia to the site (since a lot of people are
lazy), and Wikipedia is a very considerable source of link traffic.  This
doesn't need to be done on a permanent basis, just as long as...say...a
certain editor got specifically targeted on the home page of Michael Moore's
website.

I haven't pushed this idea particularly because another editor whose
judgement and experience I very much respect asked me not to.  I'm not
necessarily advocating it now, rather presenting it as an alternative
perspective at a polarized discussion.

-Durova