[WikiEN-l] Most useless edit summary ever?

joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu
Thu Oct 18 19:07:04 UTC 2007

Quoting Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>:

> joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu wrote:
>> For
>> example, if someones replace a comma with a period it is hard to see
>> that change just
>> looking at the difs, even with the helpful colored differences displayed.
>> However, an edit summary of "swap comma with period in 2nd sentence" or
>> something like that makes it much easier to follow.
> Does it make sense to give a 37 keystroke explanation for a minor
> one-keystroke change?
>
> Ec

Possibly not. However, arguable it saves everyone time in the long run.
If every
editor looked through every edit on their watchlist then it would
certainly save
time. Obviously not many do that (I'm far from that. I should probably stop
trying to kid myself and just pare the list down). And I suspect that a the
time use for any substantial study of watchlist watching habits would greatly
exceed the small amount of time saved by this practice even if it does in fact
save time. So the sort answer is no. It probably doesn't make much sense.